Sunday, August 2, 2009

iPhone

I took the cover off my iPhone. It was a big step. And it's taken some time. I'll take it off, then put it on again. Sometimes I'll even get brave and take off the plastic screen cover.

Why, you ask, would I take off the cover? Because I like it better without the cover. It looks better, feels better, and is slimmer. Why do people put covers on anyway? Because they're scared of damaging the phone, which is a valid concern - I've seen broken iPhones before.

My general life philosophy revolves around conservatism and alignment. I'm cautious. The normal Derek would find the best case out there and buy it (which is exactly what I did). But every once in a while you need to relax and realize that it's okay to break things or not keep them in perfect condition. You can't protect everything. If you get more utility out of something but it lasts less time, maybe it's worth it.

My iPhone today? Naked. No bulky case surrounding it. I decided to leave the screen cover on, as it doesn't affect performance and actually keeps the phone from slipping out of my pocket. My cautious side is still adjusting to the change.

4 comments:

Chris and Jennifer said...

Yeah, I like the iPhone naked better too... plus the cases are a rip off.

becca said...

yeah, the book is so interesting. i like that you read a lot and list your books. i think i might start doing that too, even if it's just so i remember what i've read.

Kevin said...

I love the topic. No matter how careful I was with my LG phone, after 3.5 years, all the black paint was chipped off, and it was clear that it had been dropped on the cement more than a few times.

Oh, and I just barely realized that you are using that picture I took of you at O'Hare. I'm flattered.

Shelly said...

Remember my friend Lauren from HS-hers just broke...

And you know me-I went into the store and said "which phone can be dropped on the floor the most times without the screen dying?" (no, not bitter about my first phone dying within the first year because it feel 3 feet, closed onto a time floor...)