Today was a big milestone for Chloe. She hit 100,000 miles. I bought Chloe in early 2005. I’d been home from my mission 6 months or so and felt it was finally time to get a car. My parents are extremely generous and have purchased a car for each of their children. At the time, Shelly was the only one who had taken them up on the offer.
I started looking at things and researching and decided that I wanted a 1979 Camaro. Mom said no.
So I started thinking seriously. SUV’s get bad gas mileage, but are great for outdoor recreation. But they get bad gas mileage. So I struck them off the list (goodbye Nissan X-Terra).
So that left Toyota and Honda. I chose Honda because their 2001 models had better designs than Toyota’s. And I chose an Accord over a Civic because Accords are bigger and I’m tall. My dad felt it was important that I have a V6 if I was going to be driving in the mountains a lot, so I got that. But the V6 only came with the EX models, which have a leather interior, sunroof, etc. So I ended up with a nicer car than I had in mind when I started looking.
Have I been happy with my choice? Yes and no. The car had previously been in an accident and started having paint problems early on. It still has those paint problems because I just don’t feel like it’s worth fixing them. But mechanically, the car has been a dream. I’ve put 50,000 miles on it. All I’ve done is change the oil regularly, flush the transmission fluid, put on new tires and put in new brakes and rotors. I haven’t had any surprises or breakdowns. Everything runs well.
At 105,000 I have my scheduled maintenance. That’s the big one, where they replace the timing belt, adjust the idle, etc. But it’ll be worth it if I can get another 100,000 miles out of Chloe. I’d even be happy with another 60,000.
What did my family think of my purchase? Both Kevin and Janene bought Honda Accords.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)























































6 comments:
This might be sad to admit, especially since I have riden in your car many a time since 2005, but this is the first time I have known what type of car it is. Hey - I'm not a car person. I would say I could tell someone the color but even then you might come back with some made up color like "plum" instead of purple ;) ... Is it red or maroon or neither?
I had to look up the color, but it's technically San Marino Red. I think just calling it red is fine :)
Honda Accords are definitely "carne de perro." I'm pretty sure that's just a Chilean phrase, but it means tough or long lasting :) I have a friend who got nearly 300,000 miles out of his. Any thoughts on what you would like to replace it with when it has giving all it will give?
I'd like to clarify that Mom and Dad basically forced me to buy a Ford/Mercury when I bought my car. Since then I have purchased a Nissan, a Subaru (may it RIP) and a Toyota.
Wow Shelly. You're old.
Glad to see you name your cars too.
Post a Comment