The month of June cast a shadow over Boston. A rainy, dreary, wet shadow. The sun rarely came out. The tension and anger on the Mass Pike were palpable. Dogs and cats were fighting in the streets. Not even Dunkin Donuts coffee could energize people anymore.
Something had to be done.
And then a miracle occurred. On Friday, July 3rd, the sun shone. It did not merely peek out from behind the clouds for a few brief minutes, it confidently strutted its stuff for several hours.
That very night, Neil Diamond played a concert at the Hatch Shell along the Esplanade. Coincidence? I think not.
For the benefit of those who have no idea who Neil Diamond is (i.e. Mom and Janene), he’s an old guy whose music is okay. But he was quite iconic back in the day. All the 50-year old women in the audience were going crazy.
It’s debatable whether the highlight of the evening was Neil singing Sweet Caroline or when he had to re-sing Coming to America because he launched into it before the announcer could say his lines. Both were very fun.
Would I go so far as to say that Neil Diamond brought sunshine to Boston? Yes, I would. In fact, it hasn’t rained since. And the next time Neil Diamond is playing a free concert, you had better believe I’ll be there.
Monday, July 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





















































2 comments:
Are you kidding me?! I love Neil Diamond!
I love your writing about Neil. B directed me to this through her blog. Kimball will LOVE this post.
Post a Comment