It wasn't until I read the book Mountains Beyond Mountains that I knew much of anything about Haiti. However, the descriptions in the book opened my heart in compassion for those people. As many of you have already read or seen, there was a devastating earthquake in Haiti yesterday. Thousands are dead and missing, and much of the infrastructure was destroyed.
An already impoverished nation is now facing an enormous crisis. My first reaction was an impulse to help in some way, and the first organization I thought of was Partners In Health. They produce results. I trust them to use any money they receive in a responsible way which will provide the help needed to those who suffer.
Please donate. Skip lunch today. Skip lunch this week. Don't go see Avatar for the 3rd time. A little money from a lot of people is a lot of money.
https://donate.pih.org/page/contribute/haiti_earthquake?source=earthquake&subsource=homepage
Read more about the Haiti disaster:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/01/13/haiti.earthquake/index.html
And, on that note, the Partners in Health homepage had a link to a forum held at Dartmouth where Paul Farmer, Jim Yong Kim, Ophelia Dahl, and Carol Folt discuss Tracy Kidder's book Mountains Beyond Mountains. I haven't watched it yet, as it's an hour and a half long. I would, however, love to hear their opinion of the way events were depicted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs0w1e_Z_LU
Wednesday, January 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



















































1 comment:
Thanks for the motivation to do something Derek.
Post a Comment