Food is fascinating, and has become an increasingly familiar topic of conversation. Michael Pollan has been one of the loudest voices in the debates. At the recommendation of a friend, I picked up a copy of The Omnivore's Dilemma when I saw it at DI. About 30 pages in, I put it down and never picked it up again. That was almost 2 years ago. Well, I've got news for you - Pollan's back.
His new book, entitled Food Rules, isn't a book in the sense of the others he's published. It contains easy-to-remember instructions on what to eat and what to avoid, such as “Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants” and “The whiter the bread, the sooner you’ll be dead.”
The WebMD article also brings up a great point which Pollan addresses - there is always an "evil nutrient" and a "blessed nutrient," but you should ignore those. This is particularly timely for me because after reading Born to Run I've been tempted to order a bunch of chia and pinole online. Guess I won't be doing that.
I'm picking up this book today at Barnes and Noble during lunch. It's $11. I'll let you know how it is. Both the articles below are fun and informative.
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/08/michael-pollan-offers-64-ways-to-eat-food/
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20090323/7-rules-for-eating
Sunday, January 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



















































No comments:
Post a Comment