Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Lost Art of Footstools

I've been posting a footstool for sale on Craigslist for several weeks now without much luck. It came with the couch I bought but doesn't really fit well in our living room. It's been blocking the hallway to the back porch for months now. Time to go.

The first ad only got one Nigerian guy wanting to send me money via Western Union.

The second ad didn't get any responses.

I tried something different with the third ad and got a response within an hour.
"It is a simple statement of fact that everybody loves footstools. The entire recliner industry evolved around the love of footstools, but was geared at people who weren't classy enough to actually own a footstool. This is your chance! Leave the horde of reclining sops and join the footstool movement! Let's take back the industry!! Show people that you're so proud of your footrest, you want to be able to see it even when you're not using it.

The elegant black leather cover says wonders about your personality. You're clearly refined and cultured, yet not overly showy. You enjoy kicking back and contemplating your many accomplishments. Although brown was an option, you found it too rustic. And although tan was an option, you found it too 1990's. Black is timeless. Black is the new black.

The steel base and legs hearken back to the industrial age. Images of Ayn Rand's masterpiece The Fountainhead come to mind as Howard Roark's unique architectural style is embodied in this classic household item.

Act now! Limit one per household.
"
Need a footstool?


3 comments:

Ryan said...

Clever Derek.

Anonymous said...

You may have better luck if you call it an ottoman. I think that's what kids are calling it these days. :-)

Kevin said...

I feel like I was reading something Dad wrote in his heyday.