Friday, November 6, 2009

Laptop!!!



Today is kind of a special day because I got a laptop upgrade at work! It's a Lenovo (I had an HP). They're ugly, the keyboard texture isn't the best, and the Fn key is where the Ctrl key is supposed to be, but it's a new laptop!

A few facts make this more exciting:

1) My current personal laptop at home is a 2005 Dell Latitude D610 which I upgraded to 1 Gig of RAM and a bigger HD. I reinstall XP every year or so, so the computer is actually surprisingly responsive and fast. And it has stickers all over it. But it's starting to get old :(

2) I have two work laptops, one from my employer and one from the client. I use the one from the client on a daily basis. The one from my employer generally sits on the top shelf of my closet with Dell Inspiron 2200 that has seen better days.

3) I purchased a new hard drive from NewEgg.com yesterday.

4) I purchased Windows 7 last week.

5) The new laptop has 3 Gig of RAM, a Core 2 Duo processor, and supports a 64-bit OS.

So, in layman's terms, I'm getting a really sweet laptop from my employer, putting in a different hard drive, and installing Windows 7. I hear it's awesome. I can't wait to get it all set up!

Is it sad that, on any given day, I have 5 laptops in my room? To be fair, two are for work, two are really old, and one is personal. That's normal, right?

-------------------------------------------------------

Update:

I spoke too soon. They decided not to give me a new machine, they're just giving me a new hard drive with Vista and Office 7.

:(

The good news is that my current laptop is also a Core 2 Duo and has 2 Gig of RAM. So while it's not quite as fast as the Lenovo would have been, it'll still run Windows 7.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

I'm sorry that you have to suffer through an HP with only 2 GB of RAM. Sometimes life is hard. Chin up, little trooper.