Just think about that for a while.
To quote Kid Rock, "You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve."
One of my biggest epiphanies occurred while I was playing intramural soccer two years ago. I was frustrated that the other players were all better than I was. Why wasn't I a superstar? Then the obvious answer dawned on me: they have practiced. Most of them played soccer in High School. They have put in hundreds of hours passing, kicking, and shooting. I just show up to the games.
The Law of the Harvest, some might call it.
Malcolm Gladwell, in his book Outliers, suggests that it takes 10,000 hours to master something. 10,000 hours requires incredible dedication.
It also requires sacrifice of other worthwhile things.
Give and take.
Depth v. breadth.
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Renaissance Man.
Saturday, October 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



















































3 comments:
I have called myself that many times. I blame Mom, she let me quit piano. :p
very thought provoking!
I remember you wrote me about that epiphany and challenged me to work harder on my mission. I really believe that most people are not exceptionally brilliant or talent but rather have become such by hard work. Thanks for the great insight.
Post a Comment