Sunday, January 2, 2011

65

I know some of you never actually visit my blog because you subscribe to the RSS feed, but if you did visit, you would see that I've kept a list of books I've read on the right sidebar. One of my New Year's Resolutions in 2010 was to read a book a week. I'm happy to announce that I read 65 books this year (I read some books twice), which, split up over 52 weeks, is an average of 1.25 books per week.

It's surprising how many books really aren't very good. However, there are tons that are absolutely phenomenal. I'll give you a simple Y/N after the title to let you know whether or not I recommend it.

I love talking about what I've read, so if you're curious about any of the books below, please ask, and I'd be happy to explain my rating. Enjoy!

The Gypsy Morph by Terry Brooks - N
The Elves of Cintra by Terry Brooks - N
Armageddon's Children by Terry Brooks - N
The Wisdom of Crowds by James Surowiecki - Y
Tunnel in the Sky by Robert A Heinlein - Y (One of my favorites)
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins - Y
Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins - Y
Mistborn by Brian Sanderson - Y (Read it twice this year)
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - Y
The Giver by Lois Lowry - Y
Death by Meeting by Patrick Lencioni - N
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling - Y
ReWork by Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson - N
Open by Andre Agassi - Y
Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier - Maybe
The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin - Y
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson - N
The Black Swan by Nassim Nicholas Taleb - Y
1776 by David McCullough - Y
Designing Web Usability by Jakob Nielsen - N
Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely - Y
The Google Way by Bernard Girard - N
Switch by Dan and Chip Heath - Y
The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson - Y
The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson - Y
Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson - Y
Selling the Invisible by Harry Beckwith - Y
Let My People Go Surfing by Yvon Chouinard - Y
On the Road by Jack Kerouac - Y
Buzzmarketing by Mark Hughes - N
What is the What by Dave Eggers - N
Never Eat Alone by Keith Ferazzi - N
Snoop: What Your Stuff Says About You by Sam Gosling - N
The Innovator's Dilemma by Clayton Christensen - Y
The Looming Tower by Lawrence Wright - Y
Seizing the White Space by Mark Johnson - Maybe
Tax-Free Retirement by Patrick Kelly - N
Connected by Nicholas A. Christakis - N
The Richest Man in Babylon by George S Clason - N
The Knack by Norm Brodsky and Bo Burlingham - N
Execution by Larry Bossidy and Ram Charan - N
Good Night by Michael Breus - Y
Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer - N
Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss - N
Bringing Down the House by Ben Mezrich - Y
This I Believe: The Personal Philosophies of Remarkable Men and Women - Y
Live Rich by Stephen Pollan - N (Read "Die Broke" instead)
E=MC^2 by David Bodanis - Y
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer - Y
Why We Buy by Paco Underhill - N
What the Dog Saw by Malcolm Gladwell - Y (The first third is boring, the rest good)
How to be Good by Nick Hornby - N
Ex Libris by Anne Fadiman - Y
Food Rules by Michael Pollan - Y
Word Freak by Stefan Fatsis - Y
The Road by Cormac McCarthy - N (Don't know why it got all the hype it did)
Believing Christ by Stephen Robinson - Y
The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks - Y
Leadership and Self-Deception by the Arbinger Institute - N (Read "Bonds that Make Us Free" instead)
The Elfstones of Shannara by Terry Brooks - Y
Superfreakonomics by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner - Y
Chi Running by Danny Dreyer - Y
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson - N
Born to Run by Christopher McDougall - Y

2 comments:

Matt said...

Derek, we're due to talk anyway but had to tell you I really appreciate your list and now especially your ratings. I'm always looking for good books. I'm surprised, or perhaps not all that surprised we read some of the same stuff last year. Those I didn't I will be putting at the top of the list now. 'Open' was one of the best autobios I've read in a really long time. Just throwing that in there. Anyway, thanks for the list!!

leigh said...

dang you derek. i made a similar to goal to read a lot this year. i was proud of my final number of 30 this year, but your 65 blows that out of the water. but im always looking for some good books to read too, so im glad i have your list. and i LOVED born to run. such a good one.