Inc. magazine included a coupon code for $75 to use with Google AdWords. Although I'm quite familiar with AdWords and how they work, I've never actually launched a campaign. With the $75 voucher, I decided to log in to AdWords and start advertising Why We Believe.
At this point, Why We Believe has 142 registered users but only 30 posted testimonies. This is low partially because of the workflow - I need to change the account creation process and the login to take you right to the testimony creation page. It's on my to-do list, but I haven't worked on the site in a few weeks.
The site needs more contributed testimonies. My first AdWords campaign will target LDS people living in Utah.
With the amount of revenue they generate from AdWords, I was surprised at the rough feel of the user interface. The phone number field wasn't marked as required, but it came back with an error when I didn't include it. It also didn't reformat the phone number - if I were to enter in 1234567890 it would leave it that way instead of changing it to (123)456-7890.
Regardless, it's an extremely simple tool to use. I created this ad:
Then I assigned it to a geographic area. This part of the interface was also quite rough. There weren't any dropdowns, I couldn't expand the US into states and then cities - the only way to drill down was to use a map. It worked, but not as efficiently as it should have.
Choosing keywords was also simple. A number of options are generated based on the contents of your ad. I found that I didn't have to add any of my own - the generated ones were fairly comprehensive. I selected the ones I wanted and launched the campaign.
When I registered for web hosting with HostMonster they also provided me with a $50 coupon code for AdWords. I applied it and created a different ad which uses different keywords.
It will be interesting to see what happens. As of day 1, the AdWord with the most impressions is LDS singles (10), followed by LDS church (3) and then LDS music (1). No click-throughs yet.
Any ideas for better ads?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





















































1 comment:
I could go for a follow-up post if you get the hankerin'.
Post a Comment