
Repetitive tasks are the bane of my existence. I’m horrible at those things that you have to just keep on doing over and over again: trimming my nails, shaving, getting haircuts, doing laundry, eating, and washing my car. You see, I just wish there were a more permanent solution to those things. But until I save up enough money to get laser hair removal on my neck, I’m just going to bite the bullet.
It recently became painfully apparent to me that my car needed to be washed. It’s May, and I believe there was still some winter salt on the undercarriage of my ’01 Honda. The birds had also decided that my car somewhat resembled a litterbox, and decided to leave me numerous little surprises.
On my way home from dropping off my fellow skydivers, I passed a Scrub-a-Dub carwash and impulsively torqued my steering wheel and screetched into the lot. It was a beautiful sunny Saturday, but the line was only three cars long and it was moving very quickly. I paid my $10 and sat in my car, waiting.
My eye immediately went to a series of signs posted on the side of the building. One read “If you’re not satisfied with your carwash, we will wash it as many times as it takes for you to be fully satisfied.” Another read “New cars wash free.” Seeing these triggered a memory of seeing a similar Scrub-a-Dub sign in a tollbooth saying “First time washers wash free.” I wished I hadn’t already paid.
My car passed through the wash rather uneventfully. However, upon exiting I noticed that my hood and passenger window still had bird decoration on them. I hopped out of the car and saw that underneath the spoiler was pretty dirty too.
I re-entered the line for the wash, put my name on the clipboard that the attendant handed me, and got it washed again. Much better. As I pulled out of the wash, I noticed a special area to my right. There was a sign that said “Customer Satisfaction Area.”
The Customer Satisfaction Area consisted of a cart with clean rags and spray bottles. I took advantage and got all those little spots on my car where the auto-wash was lacking.
At this point in the post, you’re probably wondering “Why is he still talking about washing his car?” It’s the marketing of the thing! They’re giving customers what they want! It was an incredible customer-focused experience. They listened to their customers and brought out towels. They agreed to re-wash if things weren’t perfect. In essence, they made sure that I had a positive experience. And will I go back? Absolutely.
Check them out http://www.scrubadub.com/



















































3 comments:
I agree, cooking, cleaning, laundry, I hate having to do them over and over again.
And my van needs a wash, but I better check the weather first, it likes to rain right after it gets clean.
Derek, this post is proof positive of why I have always loved ya, man! I was nodding along thru your opening, having just thought of these very things this morning while NOT shaving. Then your disertation on the car washing experience was perfect. Promise me to always stay the same! I need your perspective and humor and insight - always!
Wow! I wish more businesses were like that... It's so unfortunate that business in America has changed from honestly doing the best job possible to trying to charge as much for as little work as you can get away with. Kudos to the Scrub-a-Dub! I'm already a fan and I've never been!
Post a Comment