Saturday, February 7, 2009

Comments... defying social convention

Hi. If you're reading this, you have to leave a comment on the post. That's the rule.

I realize that lots of people see and read things but don't ever say anything. They usually remain quiet because they're embarrassed that they were online blog-stalking. But let's be honest... we all do it! That's the point of having a blog!

I don't care if we haven't talked in years. I don't care if we don't know each other well. I don't even care if we don't know each other at all. I'd just like to know who's listening. And I promise not to think it's weird.

18 comments:

Brandon said...

Derek,
I'm following the rules and leaving you a comment. I'm not so much a blog stalker as a Google Talk Status Junky (I guess that's not really different at all). Jeff Richardson has had some good links lately and I decided to see what your blog was like. I enjoyed the things that should not go together post; it had me laughing. I hope you're enjoying Boston; my parents loved it when my Dad was at Harvard. My wife, Megan, and I are moving to San Antonio in July so I can start work with USAA. Our blog is brandonandmegan.org See you on Google talk =)

Erin said...

Derek!! Long time no see. Hope Boston is treating you well. I agree with having to leave a comment if you read it. Common courtesy is all it is :)

Janene said...

Dear Derek,
You ARE weird.
Sincerely,
David

{Morgan Burt} said...

You know, I have been thinking about doing a post like this on my own blog for weeks now. I would feel dumb now putting that thought to action after you beat me to it.

Eh, I'll still do it. But I'll perhaps give you some credit for eliciting me to do it.

Emily Webster said...

I rather enjoy anonymity, but I will follow the rules...here is my comment.

Jeff said...

Hi Derek. I only saw this post because Shelly left it up. Unlike her, though, I will follow the rules :-)

Shelly said...

Jeff assumes that in my time of juggling life with him and four kids I had actually read this post yet. Nope. I had just left it up on the computer in the hopes that sometime later, I would get the chance to read it (I can't remember things once I get up to calm a screaming child...).

Love reading your blog.

B said...

you know I like to break the rules. settlers of catan? but I will make you happy although I already told you I read this.

Brooke Hill said...

Oh how I miss you and your funny sense of humor!!! How is Boston? Are you ever going to come back and visit?

Sara and Wade Jacobsen said...

Hey Derek. I saw your blog on Erin's and thought I would check it out. Hope Boston is treating you well.

lindsay lark said...

Comment.

P.S. Love your guts.

Lindsay said...

what a good idea! i've thought about doing this for awhile. i'm always caught off guard when someone mentions my blog (or that their mom reads it) when i didn't even realize they knew i had one. i've wanted to do something like this, but figured most people still wouldn't leave a comment because blog-stalking can be embarrassing. especially when it's someone you don't like (and i know i have a few of those).

but i've seen it, so now i have to comment. oh well..

johnny said...

Derek,

I leave blog-stalking comments on stranger's pages all the time. I didn't realize what a weirdo I was until I read this post. That's awkward 80\

Seriously, long time no see.
ChristyC

Robert Kinghorn said...

Rebooting from Ubuntu... Sounds familiar... I dropped my computer accidentally 2 weeks ago. After trying various tactics including trying to mount the hard drive while it was cooling in an ice chest, and $70 dollars later I gave up.
So I got a new hard drive (much noisier than the old one) and have been installing drivers since I don't have the CD. I should have backed up my stuff. But the only reason I understand your posting about your own laptop going bad was because I had this happen to me... I hope things are good in Boston. I miss you cousin. You are a lucky guy-- when your hard drive breaks down you don't have to beg among friends for help or fork over $ to a computer shop. Love ya man.
-Robert

Maginot said...

What a fun post, love it! So my sister is Lindsay Evans and I was on her blog and came to your blog to see who you are and if I know you. Didn't find any pictures of you though to help me out. Do I know you?

Courtney Kay said...

Derek I like your blog. Good find. Looks like you are doing super well in Boston.

Lauren Andersen said...

hi! so glad i found your blog. now i can blog-stalk you! peace.

John said...

Hey Derek! This is funny, I kinda feel like a total voyeur that got caught! But in a good way, like I was peeping in on you having dinner or something and all of a sudden you rapped on the glass and invited me in for a bite. Anyway, I always knew that you'd go far in life. Check out my kid daughter! http://jjhaggerty.blogspot.com/

Thanks for inviting me in!