Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Auld Lang Syne



Although slightly belated, I thought New York deserved a few lines. Being in Times Square at midnight on New Years is quite the experience/ordeal.

We had to arrive at 4:30 to get a spot. Once you were in, you were stood in a barricaded block-long corral. We were told that there were no bathrooms, so we were careful not to drink much before. There were no street vendors, so we had to bring our own snacks.


It was FREEZING. Standing around for 8 hours is not a particularly enjoyable experience. It was too cold to turn the pages of a book (I brought The E-Myth Revisited). There were lots of foreigners around to talk to, but it was so cold that nobody was very chatty.


The experience is one of those things you do so you can say you did it. For the rest of my life, every New Years, I'll be able to say I was there. It's a little like camping sometimes. The trip may be miserable, but the best part is looking forward to it and looking back on it.

1 comment:

lindsay lark said...

And that, my friend, is precisely why I don't love camping.