Thursday, September 30, 2010

BioInnovations Gateway

I finished another website!



I wanted to gain experience working with a client to build a site. It just so happened that Ryan is working at a life sciences incubator called BioInnovations Gateway. They needed a website built.

The first step was to learn to write a professional proposal. I spent a lot of time searching through examples online and picking the best wording and most comprehensive terms. It took a while to put together, but I learned quite a bit. The process challenged me to think ahead and try to foresee some of the minutiae that would come up.

I chose to build the site in WordPress. I've used Drupal and Joomla before, but WordPress seemed appropriate for a largely informational site. Most of the copy comes from their marketing materials. I took charge of the design style of the site and ended up purchasing a template and modifying it to meet the client needs.

Check it out! BioInnovations Gateway

4 comments:

Kevin said...

That's a nice, clean site. I'll assume you did a similarly professional job with the business proposal. I hope you're earning far more than you deserve for these.

D said...

Thanks Kevin. This being my first real paying client, the price was actually very fair. It was a great learning experience and I'm really happy with the outcome. I think they got a better site from me than they would have with someone else for the same price. I like to think of it as a win-win situation.

Anonymous said...

Hey Derek, I think you did an outstanding job with the website... even looks like it was done by a professional :)

- Chris M.

Ryan Murri said...

As the customer, I am very pleased. I hired Derek because I knew he would work hard for me. I definitely kept him busy and was not an easy customer. The website has received rave reviews from the company stakeholders and other editors. Thanks Derek!