Thursday, September 10, 2009

Miscellaneous Happenings

We got rid of the hideously ugly sectional sofa that was in our living room. It wouldn't fit down the stairs, so we tried to lower it over the balcony. One side has a hide-a-bed and is quite heavy. That one soared gloriously through the air and landed with a resounding crack and contorted shape. Needless to say, its hide-a-bed days are over.

Some Russian tourists were walking by (we live on a very interesting street) and videotaped the whole thing. Look for it on YouTube.

The other half of the sectional is much lighter and fared much better. We lowered it down with no throwing involved, and it is now in the living room of a very kind Chinese family.

Our internet and television are now set up. They were previously in the name of one of our roommates who moved out in August. We agreed to transfer the service to another name, but before we could do that, he canceled it. That was fine for a week while Deathstar, a neighboring unsecured wireless router, was up and humming. But then Deathstar also moved out, and we were left internet-less.

One reason we want the internet is that Ben just modded an XBox, allowing us (among other things) to surf the internet. Tim has a Netflix account, so when you combine the two... magic happens.

Changing topics, I've been trying to force my way through 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. This is my second attempt. For a book that's supposedly some of the best spanish literature of all time, it's not very captivating.

Fearing that I would never finish it, I read the last few pages. Interesting twist on things.

Institute started last night. We attended a class on The Book of Hebrews and it was fascinating. Did you know that Paul's epistles are organized from longest to shortest? All except one - Hebrews. And all but one start with the word "Paul". Hebrews again is the outlier. Some scholars doubt that Paul was actually the author of The Book of Hebrews. It appears that the compilers of the King James Version of the Bible also doubted that, as they separated it from Paul's other epistles. Fascinating.

2 comments:

B said...

You forgot one of your most important miscellaneous happenings: finishing up on your room decorations and hanging the artwork and mirror.

I did know that about Paul's epistles but I am excited to attend the course because I found the points on how Hebrews addresses this concept or comparison of our actual world with another ideal world, quite fascinating. Brother Sorensen did a great job of introducing how we look at Jesus Christ this semester. I'm actually excited to attend my first semester of institute.

Kevin said...

I always want to be that cool neighbor who has an open internet connection, but I don't want people stealing my bandwidth while I'm catching up on Burn Notice!