Monday, September 21, 2009

Art

I've always loved art and creativity. The other day I found a painted canvas at a thrift store by MIT and bought it on impulse. It was a painting of a sculpted bust. The background was sky blue, the bust a marbled white, and the grade on the back said B+.

I painted it white with wall paint and then bought a $3 black paint tester to finish it off. I toyed around with several things to paint on the blank canvas. Silhouetted birds in flight, silhouetted birds on a wire, silhouetted trees, maybe some Kandinsky, perhaps some Rothko. I settled on lines.

Picasso had a blue period. This would be my black and white period. My bedroom art consists mainly of Ansel Adams photographs in black frames.



My philosophy on art like this is that a simple design becomes more and more profound the larger the canvas is. The canvas in the picture is a decent size, but if it were 4 feet tall and 6 feet wide, the painting would become a source of inspiration.

2 comments:

B said...

What do you think about this modern art piece I found this morning:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_3Bi5wN61vcM/SrZY-sNPX1I/AAAAAAAAHmU/wVfL_KdwstQ/s1600-h/aurora_4.jpg ??

{they are colored pencils in case you can't tell}

Shelly said...

May I recommend silouetted tree skeletons against a gorgeous sunset?