Sunday, May 17, 2009

Fire at Church



The Longfellow Park building of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints was gutted by fire this morning. It's located at 2 Longfellow Park in Cambridge, MA, across the street from the Henry Wadsworth Longfellow estate.

We were sitting in the chapel watching Stake Conference being broadcast from Salt Lake City and the fire alarm went off. The man conducting the meeting asked us all to please evacuate the building. Everyone left in a calm manner. We didn't take it seriously until we saw the smoke coming out from under the roof.

I had smelled smoke from the moment I sat down. However, it was very faint, and since I was sitting next to the projector, thought it might be coming from there.  It wasn't.

We all watched the building burn. The roof of the chapel collapsed, and the fire got really strong. I'm posting the pictures I took of the progress as soon as I get them off my camera.

I was also interviewed for the Channel 5 news. Jennifer Garner and son walked over to see what was going on. Quite the eventful day.


We knew it was starting to get serious when the smoke started pouring out.



That's Jane Clayson Johnson's head in the picture. Random. When I walked out of the chapel she was already on her phone calling in the fire.


Here you can see that the roof already collapsed in the chapel and the fire is raging inside.


The entire roof collapsed. None of the walls fell in. The steeple didn't fall. The entire thing is gutted, though.

Please check out the rest of my pictures at: http://picasaweb.google.com/derekdac/Fire?feat=email#

Also see videos of the fire taken by Jonathan Souza that are now posted on YouTube: 

There's an article with a picture that I'm fairly prominent in: http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles_of_faith/2009/05/mormon_meetingh.html

And I get quoted at the end of this one: http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/19487437/detail.html

And here's me in the video interview!!! http://www.thebostonchannel.com/video/19487236/index.html

10 comments:

B said...

Being the fire fighter he is, Tyler Goodspeed thinks if it started in the attic it was electrical not arson. I am happy you are safe. And sad the church is hurt.

Jenna said...

Wow, I can't imagine standing outside watching the church burn down right after I was inside of it. Great pictures.

Fernando said...

Crazy! Also, I can't believe Carolina didn't mention it when I called her 30 minutes ago.

Shelly said...

When the fire alarm goes off at our building, it's a kid.

Jeff Rosenbaugh said...

Sounds like a serious adventure! Glad you're safe

Janene said...

Wow. I like your quote.

Laura said...

Hey amigo, it's Laura, formerly known as Pugmire. Thanks for posting this. I needed to mourn with you--this made it possible.

Kathryn Skaggs said...

So, so sorry to hear about this fire to such a beautiful historic building. Sending thoughts and prayers your way, from SoCal.
tDMg

Linda Hoffman Kimball said...

Glad to have your capable helping hands out there in my old home base during its time of need.

BTW, Peter's getting married June 6 to Anne Bennett from Belmont, Grant Bennett's daughter. (Grant is also interviewed in one of the YouTube fire coverage videos.)

Greetings from your former seminary teacher!

Aaronius said...

Um...I think my sister's in your ward. Amber Hardy?